Summer Learn To Sail Program
non members and
t- shirts for
7-16 year olds -
Beginner Level /
Advanced Level and Racers
8-18 year olds
NERYC's summer 'learn to sail' camp program for kids follows universally accepted methods of teaching sailing and operates within the guidelines prescribed by us sailing. Our training fleet consists of Optimists, Sunfish, Lasers and Club 420 dinghies. Learning, safety and fun are the cornerstones of our curriculum and our young sailors are taught using a combination of lectures, visual aids, practical drills and extensive on the water practice at our facility, which is a convenient commute for residents of Northern Maryland and surrounding the tri-state areas.
Beginners learn the basics, intermediate sailors build their competence in boat handling and sail trim and are introduced to the fundamentals of racing. Advanced sailors perfect their skills and build their competence by working on advanced boat handling and sail trim, as well as developing their knowledge of the rules and tactics of racing. At this level sailors become eligible to join our travel team and compete in regional sailing regattas. Our young sailors have a such a great time at camp that many spend their entire summer with us and return year after year (see reviews). Sessions fill quickly so early registration is essential.
Program objectives :
- To promote the sport and teach children how to sail to the best of their ability and interest
- To make sailing accessible to children
- To provide a safe environment for fun and learning
- To develop life-long values and skills such as sportsmanship, consideration for others, teamwork, self-worth, humility, self confidence, organization, health and fitness and an appreciation for nature and the environment
- To build skills: seamanship, sailing and racing skills
- To develop their skills and competence through both individual and team participation
- To provide opportunities to develop competitive sailing skills in regattas and in races
Visit us on Facebook to view photos, news and updates and ‘Like’ us to include our updates on your newsfeed.