Organization And Early Years
The North East River Yacht Club was organized by
a group of yachtsmen interested in safe boating and good fellowship. In July
of 1930 a certificate of incorporation for North East River Yacht Club, Inc.
(NERYC) was recorded in Maryland. These gentlemen started NERYC with an
initial capital fund of five thousand dollars ($5,000.00). The certificate
of incorporation states: "The object of this Club shall be to
encourage the sport of yachting, to promote the science of seamanship and
navigation, to provide a suitable Clubhouse, Anchorage and Piers for the use
of its boating members and to provide facilities for the recreation and
social activities of all its members, both boaters and non-boaters."
Additionally, it states that: "The said corporation is not formed for the
purpose of profit in any manner whatsoever but is to be supported and
maintained primarily by purchase of stock and by contributions to it in the
form of membership dues and assessments."
The War Years And The Fifties
The early period of the club is somewhat hazy due to the loss of many of
the early records. The author is therefore dependent on the memory of some
of the earlier members. Additionally much of the information was taken from
the Nor'Easter, published in 1980.
1960 To Present
In 1962 the club was again expanded and the entire facility was air-conditioned and redecorated. This comparatively extensive and expensive work required financing, and the membership approved new by-laws, a bond sale, and a mortgage. Also in the same year the property to the north was acquired.
The club docks have gone through many changes since 1930. A new bulkhead was completed in 1966. In 1967 electric and water were added to the dock facilities. The next year with the purchase of the bulkhead riverfront lot next door, the club expanded into an enviable waterfront property with an excellent view and room for an extensive mooring area. In 2003 the extreme storm surge produced by Hurricane Isabel took its toll on the old piers. In 2004 membership approved a plan to replace and expand the marina. Implementation of the waterfront development plan was delayed by permit and legal clearances, until finally, during the 2006/7 off-season, the old docks were demolished and construction was completed on the current state of the art marina with floating piers and attenuators.